Friday, August 18, 2006

Night 4: Hell, I mean night bus

Ow. We had a bus from Cusco to Arequipa that left at 7:30pm and arrived at 5:30am. All looked fine when we bought the tickets for 25 soles each, or about $8. We got to the train station a little late, and were a tad rushed. We eached grabbed our rain coats, the only thing at hand, to use for pillows. We hopped on and I knew I was in trouble. I couldn´t simlultaneously be seated and not be crushing my knees into the metal seat in fron of me. We both fell asleep for a little while once the bus got going, but then I awoke and Berry did a little while later.

After that I was pretty much done for. I watched a poorly dubbed film about a kickboxer whose love Marianne had been taken from him. It really changed my life. No not really. Then I tried, in vain, to find a omfortable position. The window was wet, the bus was absolutely freezing and the seat was too small. The constant baby crying and the next movie, face-off, did not help either. I put in my shuffle and tried to ignore everting, which didn´t work. I wound up watching face-off and reading the spanish subitles. At least I got to work on my spanish, I guess.

Finally, during the third crappy movie, I put my seat up and slept sitting straight up. Thanks mom for teaching me that skill. I woke up when we got there, haveing slept about 4 hours, confused, sore and tired. Maybe next time we´ll spring for the full bed bus. All things considered, I did make it, and sleep is for cowards. I can sleep when I´m dead and all that. So hopefully that was the worst of the trip.

No comments: