Friday, August 25, 2006

Day 12: more islands

Quick: space key is broken on this comp. I will try hard but tough.

The alarm was set for 6:30am, which didn´t matter to the daughter of the family, who woke us up at 6. Breakfast was not until 7 so I took a stroll aound the island. I got back at 7 sharp, having missed breakfast (huh?). I ate a quick, cold egg and hadsome tea. We went down to the boat amd promptly took off 30 minutes later. (note: I am not being sarcastic, this is prompt.)

At 9 we arrived at Taquile, the more touristyof the islands (see previous). We walked around pretty much the entire island. After we saw some Incan ruins, we headed down to the pueblo. A hat that was less nice than the one Berry hadbought onAmantaní for $2.30 cost $12 here. Food did not follow that trend, though. We had two sanwhishes each, for $1.33 total. After the sandwhiches, we headed down to the port, and took off. After about 2 hours of trying to skeep in the cabin, I realized if I am on a boat, I may as well be on the boat, so I went out in the wind. About 45 minutes later, a storm, which we had been trying toavoid, caught us, sending all but the well-worn travelers below deck (ie everyone but me and the Peruvians). The lake all of a sudden became choppy and turned from peaceful blueto stormy green. It was pretty sweet. After about 1.5 hours, we got back. As we passed the Uros Islands (Islas Flotantes) I remembered we hadbeen there only a day before, even though it seemed like forever.

In Puno, we ran some quick errands. I got money and then we went to the cevicheria for food. Berry then went to5:45 mass (which started at 6:15 - it's a complicted time system here) and I strolled. I like walking in the non-touristy parts, which was very nice. I looked for thesecond tolast of the presents-to-buy with no luck. I bought a hat for 7 soles ($2.30ish) and one present. I walked back to the Cathedral and saw Berry who had been waiting for 30 minutes. Sorry about that. We grabbed a cab to the bus station, and got 20 soles tickets for the night bus. B went to internet, I hung loose.

And then the night bus...that will take a long time to tell. At least you know I´m alive, a feeling I did not have last night.

No comments: