Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Day 8: Locura, Arequipa style

We slept until 9am, which feels a lot like 1pm at home. As I was getting ouof the shower, BErry reported that there was a disagreement over money with the hotel. After resolving that, and getting aniec free breakfast atop the roof, we ran a few errands. After the pharmacy (Berry starting to get a little worse), tourist info, cash machine, and a quick snack, we started the day.

Our first stop was Juanita. I'm about to sound quite nerdy, but eh. So Juanita is an Incan woman, between 12 and 14 years old, who was sacrificed to the sun Gods on top of a mountain near Arequipa. The mountain is frozen, or was, until recently. The neighboring mountain, excuse me, volcano, erupted, and the ash melted a lot of the ice on Juanita's mountain. She had been perfectly preserved, frozen in the ice, for the previous 5oo years. Coincidentally, an expedition found her 3 weeks after she was dislodged. She had decomposed only slightly in that time, and was immediately frozen. He skin was a little messed up on her face, and her upper lip was gone. Other than that, all organs were perfect, including her brain. There is way to much to tell here, but they did many tests and found out some absoltely amazing things. Even more memorable though was Juanita herself, sitting in an icy box, for me to look at.

After Juanita we hopped in a cab to El Azufral, the stadium of Arequipa. There we caught the city's 375th(?) anniversary's bullfight. The prelimary rounds were pretty dull, but the beer helped that. About half way through we grabbed a nice fried guinea pig, and ate that, although based on our neighbors' example, we really did not get it all. As the fights got more and more serious, I started to pick favorites. The only two that I cared about one. Galileo Jr. beat Nazi. (Hmm I wonder why I picked that one?) Then El Negro Asesino (The Black Assasin) beat La Loca Pirero. A lot of my friends used to all me el negro asesino, so yeah.

After the 15 minute cab right back to the centro, we visited the cathedral, which spans an entire side of the main plaza de armas. We got our bags from the hotel, got a cab to the bus station and took the bus from Arequipa to Puno, which left around 6:30pm.

We (purposefully, for leg room) got the two front row seats on the top level, just like the number 9, or even more the N9, which made me think quite a bit. After letting the marinate for about 2 hours, I managed to sleep. I was basically asleep from 8:30pm - 12:30am. Berry was very out of it and sick when we got there. I got the hotel and tickets for Copacobana for the next day, and we went to some hostel, where I promptly fell back to sleep.

No comments: